7/28/2009

Father Abraham is a producer and rapper from Boston, Massachusetts that will blow you away without a doubt. He has some sick rhymes, slick well engineered beats, and a name that will always make me think of an Amish guy. He recently released an album called I Am Not a Sailor I Am the Captain that was recorded in a converted mill in MA. Which adds to my Amish guy image even more. Father Abraham is currently working on a new album called 52 Pickup where is is recording a new song every week for a year. If thats not cool enough for you, check out his site where you can track the albums progress and listen to each new song every week. Oh yeah, did I mention that not only is his recent album free for download but also 2 other albums. Do your thing Papa Abe!
Father Abraham - Spacemarch (No Longer Available)

When I used to work for a thrift store that I won't name, It's one of the big ones, we used to get all sorts of awesome things. Retro furniture, some pretty sweet rap t-shirts, various converse shoes in all colors including a Christmas themed pair tricked out with bells, but nothing compared to the amazing selection of music I would come across. Most of my record collection came from when I worked there. We always used to get peoples old blank tapes as well. I came across some mix tapes in a box one day some were labeled and some were not and the track lists looked interesting. So I bought the box and listened to a few. They were alright but nothing I thought was amazing. I didn't listen to them all and I figured if I ever wanted to use them for mix tapes (yes some people still do that on cassettes) they would come in handy. A few years went by and recently I was cleaning out some old stuff and I found them and decided to give them a second listen. I am really glad I did. I came across this great alt-country mix tape that had an Uncle Tupelo song on it. The band was formed by Mike Heidorn, Jay Farrar, and Jeff Tweedy(of Wilco). The band did not gain much commercial success but quickly became legends in the alt-country arena and put out some great music. The band broke up due to troubles between Farrar and Tweedy. When the band decided to call it quits Tweedy formed Wilco and Farrer went on to form Son Volt. Wow, that was quite a lot to read just to get to me talking about Son Volt. The history is so interesting though I suggest reading it. Anyway, If I never heard Uncle Tupelo I wouldn't know about Son Volt because I'm not really a fan of Wilco. This song is a sad and beautiful. Son Volt just recently released a new album called American Central Dust.
Son Volt - Cocaine And Ashes

I HAVE to share this site because it just to excellent to keep quite about. I was using Stumble Upon, which is a super addictive search that takes you to the best of the best the web has to offer(go ahead click on it I promise you won't stop clicking for at least an hour) and I came across a RockyMusic. It's all about the music of the musical/cult classic The Rock Horror Picture Show. I'm not a big fan of musicals or into the goth scene but I am a huge fan of Rocky Horror. If you have never seen it I insist that you stop reading this and go out and rent it NOW! This website has all the information you ever wanted to know and more. From composers, to artists, to out of print records and songs(including a huge listening library)to lyrics. Below are two selected tracks from the site. The first one is from Richard O'Brien who wrote The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Fun Fact: Shock Treatment is a follow up film to Rocky Horror that was originally titled The Brad and Janet Show . I love the chorus of this song. The second is one of my favorite sort of songs. A song that tells a story. It's a 60's Phil Spector esque style song that reminds me of The Shangri-Las Leader Of The Pack only darker.
Richard O'Brien - Shock Treatment

Kimi And Ritz - I Was In Love With Danny (But The Crowd Was In Love With Dean) (No Longer Available)

This song is amazing in both lyrically and musically. It's a self-deprecating song about being in lost love and using someone else to replace the missing piece of once was. The tune is catchy, and the singing is nervous and yet sincere in it's own special way.
Two Gallants - Despite What You've Been Told

No comments: