7/20/2009

So close to being trashed but we were saved and suggested.

Most of the time if I hear a song I don't like I will delete right off the bat. I always feel kind of bad when I do that because that one song could be the type that grows on you with time. Such as the case with Too Much Time by John Vanderslice. When I first introduced this song to my earholes I listened to it about twice and I decided it wasn't interesting. It was sort of depressing and I really didn't like the singers voice. So it went in the round file with the rest of the duds. A few days went by and one day while I was doing dishes the chorus popped into my head and I somehow remembered the words to most of the song. I instantly decided to give it another chance and I am glad I did. It is quickly becoming a major contender in my sad songs playlist. It's nothing special musically or lyrically. To be honest I don't know why I like it so much, but I do.
John Vanderslice - Too Much Time

Whenever I hear the name Florence And The Machine I think about Flo the redhead spokesperson in the Progressive Insurance commercials. Then when I think of the title "Cosmic Love" I instantly think of the 60's. Which seems to work nice because Florence Mary Leontine Welch has a voice that invokes the women singers like Janis Joplin and Grace Slick. I have been really digging this tune lately. It wasn't one that I thought I would be keeping around very long either but I love the drums and you can't deny that powerful voice. You can tell she has soul and it's poring out of every inch or her. If you like this tune I suggest checking out a few tracks from Bat For Lashes as well, I'm not a huge fan, but I know a lot of reliable music blogs are.
Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love

To round up this post I have one suggested band and one suggested track.
The suggested band is Matt & Kim. It was suggested to me by a good friend who has excellent taste in music. The track "Daylight" is a groovy little number that has a warm bouncy fun feel. In most other songs there are male female vocals but it's mainly Matt in this one. I chose this one in particular because it's in a Bacardi Mojito commercial. Now you can impress all your friends when the commercial comes on and look like a music dork too! YAY!


Matt & Kim - Daylight

Last but not least is a track by the Melvins that my "BOY" told me about (he told me to holla' at yo boy! So I am!) Actually the friend I am referring to gave me the name for this blog. Anyway he usually doesn't listen to this kind of music so I thought if he likes it I'll give it a try. The song is pretty strange and yet awesome. The first listen I instantly took note of how cool the drums are in the beginning. Then I got the unexpected surprise in the middle of the song, I won't say what it is but it's great. I found some other Melvins songs but unfortunately none of the others sounded remotely listenable to me.
The Melvins - Skin Horse

No comments: