9/07/2009

I know as far as posing the latest and greatest in music I tend to be pretty late catching that proverbial wave. With that said let me introduce you to a band everyone in the indie community already knows about, The XX. The youngsters from London know how to make grayish drone-like pop song seem like a beautiful. The music reminds me of looking outside on a rainy day and having that lazy-stay-indoors-and-read-a-book feeling. On top of all of that they add a little R&B tinged flavor just to keep things poppy. It's minimal, laid back and the duel male/female vocals of Romy Madley Croft, and Oliver Sim pull it all together. They have released their LP in the UK already and U.S. Should see a release day on Oct. 6.
The XX - Crystalised

The XX - Heart Skipped A Beat

Another band that I have been into lately is The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart. They have a similar sound to The XX but a lot more upbeat yet still produce that dreamy shoe gazer sound. To be perfectly honest I hated this band at first. I don't like the typical indie noise pop sound like this band has however I was converted when I saw them play live (I don't want to admit this cause I hate him) on Carson Daly. I still am adjusting to their sound but I have listened to this song about 500 times. It's funny because I just now realized that if The XX are music for a rainy day then The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart are music for a sunny day.
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Young Adult Friction

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Higher Than The Stars

I have made it a habit to embarrass myself here with some of my musical tastes, but I like to crack on mysely and I'm not about to stop. Why? Well because I have no shame, and also because I don't care. I am sure everyone has heard the song Use Somebody by Kings Of Leon. I would also bet it's safe to say it's over played. Not that Kings Of Leon don't deserve it. They have been making some great music for a long time and it's about time they come up. I don't know where I heard this song, I never listen to the radio anymore (NPR convert). Al I know is that when I did hear it I liked it. Then I got sick of it. Then I liked it. Like a seesaw, I kept going back and forth. After a long bout of hating the song my faith has been restored by Paramore. It's sounds like the original but it's sung by a girl. So why then do I love it? Is it because the lead singer Hayley Williams is cute...and has a great voice? Could be. Is it because the lyrics sit with me just right? Maybe. Is it because I'm a sap? The world may never know.
Paramore - Use Somebody (Kings Of Leon Cover)

Paramore - Misery Bussiness (Acoustic)

No comments: