7/04/2012

Long overdue

So last weekend was Bonnaroo. I wasn't there in person, but I did end up watching most of the live streaming coverage on Youtube. I have a review of what I saw throughout the 3 day music festival, but I decided not to post it. It got too long and I don't think it would be too interesting. I might still post it, but it needs to be condensed big time. I mentioned a update on my facebook account almost a week and a half ago, and it still hasn't happened. So where have I been the last 2 months? Well I wish I had a good explanation to give you. It's been a combination of laziness, being busy with trying to find a job, being preoccupied with other projects or playing video games. Only one of those reasons is admissible, the rest are just me being a slacker. However I am back now, and I am going to try my damnedest to keep up to date. What do you say? Let's get this dog and pony show on the road.

I'm going to spoil my Bonnaroo post right off the bat but, I feel I can do this because I found out about this song a week before the festival. According the their Wikipedia page it says that the five band member all met each other at an artist commune in 2008. I was fortunate enough to catch their performance at Bonnaroo and they completely blew me away. They had the audience in a frenzy by the end of their set. They have fun stage presence and you can tell that the band genuinely enjoys what they are doing. If you couldn't guess by their name these cats are sort of hippieish, but in the best way possible. Their music is upbeat, happy and weird. They looked like a rag tag bunch that was just thrown together, the male vocalist had a Kurt Cobain disheveled artist look, the female singer looked like Molly Ringwald straight off of the set from Pretty In Pink (so hot!). Then you had a guy who looked like he should be in The Allman Brothers and another who should be in Nickelback. You might have actually heard a song by them already. Their song "Tongue Tied" was featured in an iPod Touch commercial. I don't care how they look or if they are hippies, I want lots of GROUPLOVE!
Grouplove - Colors


I mentione above that I have been playing a lot of video games lately, actually computer games, but whatever. A friend of mine got me to give the popular online game service Steam a try. My friend had been telling to to download the client for a while and I put it off, mostly because I forgot about it and the message he sent me got buried in my message folder. I ended up finally doing so because I am blessed with awesome friends, who do nice things like send me a game fro my birthday. I then ended up buying what is called the Indie Humble Bundle. It's a suite of games you can buy and you name your own price, and a portion of the proceeds got to charity. Not only did I get about 8 really sweet indie games but I also got the soundtracks for most of the games. One game in particular I played had, in my opinion, the greatest soundtrack I have heard in a game. The Game was called Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP. The game itself is an 8-bit looking exploratory action adventure game. I'm not going to go into the game play but I did want to mention, because I think it's funny, that you eat mushrooms and trip out to help you understand how to do certain tasks throughout the game. It's really an original and fun game with beautiful graphics. The music was composed by Jim Guthrie who has been a member of bands such as the Islands and Royal City. The soundtrack was released on a special edition vinyl, which is the same one that is featured in the game. I can't really describe the music other than a perfect audio landscape full of moody goodness. Bravo Mr. Guthrie! Do yourself a favor and check the album out on bandcamp. You won't be sorry.

Jim Guthrie - Little Furnace


I have been looking for a job since February and I am having a heck of a time trying to find work. It's so hard to find a decent job these days, it's crazy. Every place wants either 3 years of experience, a degree, or to pay a low wage that's virtually impossible to live on. I actually had a great interview recently with a company. I was excited about it. I waited on pins and needles for two weeks only to get a an e-mail telling me they went with more qualified candidates. It was practically the same job I was doing before. Let me tell you, I was super bummed. I firmly believe that today in the US, the hardest job is finding a job. I never thought I'd say this but I REALLY miss working. I really do. I WANT IT! I am also trying to get back into school, and that has been a series of roadblocks as well. However, no matter how hard it gets, how many times I get rejected, how depressed I get; I remind myself that I am awesome. I'm as tough as nails and I won't let this big bad world push me to the ground. I'm going to eat that frustration and poop out motivation. Watch out jobs/school, I'm coming to get ya! I think this little punk rock gem from 1995 sums it up quite nicely.

CIV - Can't Wait One Minute More


I have always been a fan of David Bazan. Whether it's his work sitting in with different bands, being the front man and creative force behind Pedro The Lion, or his solo projects; he's a tornado of talent. His lyrics and music both carry a no nonsense honest style. This is the title track, from the 2001 album Strange Negotiations.

David Bazan - Strange Negotiations

I don't consider myself to be a avid listener of ultra catchy pop songs, but I will admit that I have a soft spot for really good ones. This may ruin any cool kid cred but I might have a Katy Perry or Bruno Mars song or two in my library. Who am I kidding? I do, and I love it. If that makes me uncool then so be it. Like what you love and let the haters hate. This song by Brett Dennen is absolute ear candy, with a chorus that will have you still singing long after the song is done. Why is this guy not huge? If more stuff like this was played on major radio I'd definitely tune in.

Brett Dennen - Sydney I'll Come Running

No comments: