9/22/2018

Rapsnacks

I don't feel like writing much today so I am just going to keep the descriptions short and add extra space for more musical goodness.
Elzhi is a Detroit native and former member of Slum Village. His flow really reminds me of the style of Big L or even Lupe Fiasco. It's thoughtful, poetic, and not afraid to be vulnerable yet still remain hood. This song is a little darker than his other stuff but I really like it. Reminds me of waking up from a nightmare or a intense dream for some reason. I'd really recommend checking out his eLmatic mixtape, which is a tribute to Illmatic by Nas where Elzhi re-created the sounds of the classic album with Will Sessions.
Elzhi - Talking In My Sleep



This song isn't anything special, or deep, but I fucking love that beat! This is one you play to make the dance floor get all sorts of freaky.
Diamond - Superbad



It's kind of funny how Punk and Hip-Hop sort of intersect in people. This band, much like the Beastie Boys, began playing together in a punk band.I love the jazzy organ and smooth wavy beat in this song and the production is incredible sounding. I wish the vocals were a little more up front though, the beat sometimes overpowers the great lyrics.
Brother Reade - The Marcie Song



A few things I learned when listening to this song. 1. I love any song with horns 2.I love thick accents (but only when in song.) I have a hard time hearing as it is, and a thick accent usually leads me to either say "I'm sorry. What was that?" or to just nod and smile and hope it's appropriate. 3. I can't be held down by crap because the world will keep going on around me. 4. Speech Debelle is damn good and deserves more looking into. Speech Debelle - Spinnin'


I know this video is super popular among the younguns, but I fell out of the hip-hop world a while ago. I'm getting old what can I say. The reason I am putting this up is for the video and to be able to link to the director Hiro Murai. you may know him from the director of the Childish Gambion video, This Is America It fits so well with the mood of this songs. Ceepy, spooky and give you the feeling that you might be somewhere where you shouldn't be. I love earl and that Vince Staples verse is killer. If you dig this video be sure to check out all the other videos, especially this one.
Earl Sweatshirt featuring Vince Staples & Casey Veggies - Hive


I really love Brockhampton! Even though the went through some shit with Amir's sexual abuse stuff, I think they are definitely proving that they aren't going to fall off the map based off of one persons bad decisions. I am sure it fucks with them losing a member that way. I will continue to support them and even still wish Amir the best and hope he gets the help he needs. These dudes are super talented and I can't wait for the next album to drop. These boys are fire! If you aren't familiar with them they are a hip-hop collective and self proclaimed next boy band. They have cranked oust some of the best hip-hop I have heard in a while and are fucking production juggernauts.
Brockhampton - 1998 Truman


Lyrical word play at it's best, right here.
Joyner Lucas - Backwords


And lest close this post out with one of the best hip-hop tiny desk concerts I have ever seen. I am not a huge fan of Tyler The Creator. I like his weirdness style and can definitely appreciate it but there was one thing that turned me off to his stuff. The fact that he vomits a lot in his videos. I just can't deal with that shit, Tyler! Is it a small thing, yes. Should I listen to his music more, yes. Do I really want to watch his crazy videos, hell yeah. that Vomit shit though, I stop it right there. Thankfully in this video he doesn't vomit, the only vomit he brings is straight up stripped down chilled out flow of great lyrics and some amazing back up singers. Seriously, those singers are worth the watch alone!
Tyler The Creator - NPR: Tiny Desk Concert

No comments: