6/14/2009

Albums I would instantly recommend if asked.



The Magic Numbers - Self Titled
The magic numbers are a band from London that bring back that 60's mellow music feel while still retaining indie freshness. Some songs are quite intricate and experimental, others are simple and beautiful. One thing this album never is, is boring. The band is made up of two sets of brothers and sisters that have incredible harmonization, in my opinion some of the best I have ever heard, that will make you feel like you are in a dream. It's the perfect album to throw on on a summer day while doing just about anything. A great album from start to finish. I actually had to purchase another copy because I wore the first one out.
The Magic Numbers - Mornings Eleven
Magic Numbers - Long Legs



Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album
I love rap music and I honestly have to say that there aren't many popular rap albums that I love more than The Pretty Toney Album by Ghostface. You may already know Ghost from The legendary Wu-Tang Clan. I love his smooth flow and his rhymes top notch. I do have to admit that this is in my opinion his only really great album. I like the rest but they just don't stand anywhere close to this. I remember the first time I heard this album I was working for Goodwill and my friend there lent it to me to listen to. He told me "Hey, "The Kid" you should give this a spin. I promise you it will be the greatest thing you ever heard." He was right.

Ghostface - Metal Lungies (feat.Sheek Louch and Styles P.)
Ghostface - Tooken Back (feat. Jackie-O)
Just to prove the awesomeness of Ghostface here is a track form the Danger Doom album. I also highly suggest this album for any rap fan.
Danger Doom - The Mask (feat. Ghostface)


Grade - Under The Radar
Wow! I just looked at the date on this and it's almost 10 years old. Back in the day I used to love metal and hardcore music. I still do but I'm no longer a teen full of angst and can only stand screaming in short bursts. Grade started out with this format screaming lyrics chugging guitars, however at one point they went way more melodic. This album was that point. Not only is this album easy to listen to even if you hate screamed vocals, but it's pretty easy to decipher the great song writing hidden in the shredded vocal chords of Kyle Bishop. If you are a fan jumping off couches and rocking the air guitar, I suggest listening to this.

Grade - Stolen Bikes Ride Faster
LinkGrade - A Year In the Past, Forever In The Future


Cold War Kids - Robbers and Cowards
If I had to describe Cold War Kids it would be soulfully haunting. The music takes you to through the seedy back alleys and shines a dim light on all the nooks and crannies you never dared to explore. It's a little creepy, a little dirty, but deep down you always wanted to know what it was like. Lead singer Nathan Willetts voice is a unique one that brings some down south blues twined with a cry like warble that will stay with you long after you stopped listening. This is an album to listen on a foggy nighttime drive home.

Cold War Kids - We Used To Vacation

Cold War Kids - Saint John


Propagandhi - How To Clean Everything
I would not recommend this album to everyone. Propagandhi are a very political, strongly opinionated, and Canadian. However they make some great points, play fast anthematic punk rock, and will make you want to better the world. With song titles like "Anti-Manifesto", "I Was A Preteen Mcarthiyist", and "The Only Good Fascist Is A Very Dead Fascist" you know your in for something interesting. This album is filled with pro-gay, pro-feminist, pro-civil liberties, anti-fascism messages and will rock your face off and even though it was released in 1994, it is by no means a record that will ever be dated. I had a real hard time deciding what tracks to post because they are all really fucking good.
Propagandhi - Anti-Manifesto
Propagandhi - The Showdown (G.E./P.)

A little info on this song. The second verse, the strangely out of place "emo" verse, is sung by John K. Samson. He is also frontman for the band the The Weakerthans, who just happen to have a track below.
The Weakerthans - Everything Must Go

No comments: