2/20/2012

The super early bird gets the worm.

I recently came further out of the internet cave and started messing around with Reddit. Being the music nerd that I am, I went instantly to the music section, where I spent hours checking out music. Early this morning, I came across the Alabama Shakes live performance on KEXP. I was blown away by their down south feel good soul vibe. I can't see many people disliking these musicians. The band is tight, groovy, and the singer doesn't hold back the emotion. Often I am disappointed by live performances, I don't know if it was because I saw the live stuff before hearing the in studio, but obviously this is a band that you don't want to miss live. Their full length album Boys & Girls is coming out April 9. You can stream the EP on Bandcamp. Below is the full KEXP session. I already put in my pre-order through iTunes.

Alabama Shakes - Hold On


I am posting this just so I can tease the Cover Mix I will be putting up in a few days. It's actually done but I wanted to get the Alabama Shakes stuff up before I forgot. This cover doesn't stray far from the original, and that makes me glad, because this is a song that would be easy to ruin. Granted, the original doesn't leave much room for change in the first place. It's cool to hear it sung by a female.
Ellie Goulding - The Wolves (Act I & II) (Bon Iver Cover)


This band has been around since 2001! Where have you been? If you answered not listening to the Beatings, then you deserve one. Don't worry, I deserve one too, I recently discovered them. If you did know of them, and didn't tell me then you also deserve a beating. Lucky for us, new to the band they have a 6 album backlog. This band is pure rock and roll greatness!
The Beatings - Bury You


I don't know why but everytime I hear the first minute or so of this song I can't help but think of "Oh Sweet Nuthin'" by the Velvet Underground. However by the middle of the song it picks up pace and ends in a full out R&B revival choir feel. I love singing the chorus! This would be a great song to use when you need a little motivation.
Sweaters - Can't Stop Winnin'


Before going solo Why? was a member of the experimental hip hop group cLOUDDED and a member of the Indie hip hop label Anticon. Very different, but none the less cool.
Why? - By Torpedo Or Crohn's


I officially like Taylor Swift! This song is AMAZING! This is off the soundtrack for the Hunger Games. I think I need to get around to checking out this Hunger Games, I keep hearing a lot about it. In fact, that is exactly what I am going to do right now. Happy listening!

2163

No comments: