7/12/2009

Throwin the covers all night...

The way I see it cover songs can go one of two ways. Either they outshine the original or fail miserably. To be honest I don't think I ever heard a cover of a song that I thought was alright. I guess I'm a harsh critic on the subject. I love cover songs and figured I would share a few of my favorites.

We'll start off with one I recently discovered. The song is by The Hold Steady who are my second favorite band. Bonus! It's also a cover of a Bruce Springsteen song, who I also hold quite high up on the cool meter. Double Bonus! To top it all off Atlantic City is from my favorite Bruce album Nebraska. Triple Bonus! I couldn't think of a more perfect band to cover the boss either.
LinkThe Hold Steady - Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen Cover)

I have had this song for sooo long and I never tire of hearing it. I first heard this song on a Fat Wreck Chords compilation called Survival Of The Fattest, which is filled with some great punk rock songs. Sadly I lost the CD a long time ago but I had managed to keep this track on an old mix I made. Get ready to rock. I suggest going down a country road really fast while listening to this or while driving amongst cornfields on a highway. Reminds me of driving to Colorado.
Me First And The Gimmie Gimmies - Country Roads (John Denver Cover)

Again I am going to let out some secret that will more than likely ruin what little coolness I have. I really dig Breathe by Taylor Swift. I think she's pretty talented and she's not all fake *coughMileyCyruscough* My sister introduced me to this song and I think part of why I like it is because my nephew knows every word and it's cute when he sings it. I don't know much about Boyce Avenue but I looked them up on youtube and they do a lot of cover songs. I listened to a few others and the few I heard sort of sounded pretty much the same. Slowed down and sappy songs that woo the girls, but I might go back and check them out a little more before I write them off. However this cover is great and I feel a little more macho listening to this version.
Boyce Avenue - Breathe(Taylor Swift Cover)

Since my guilty pleasures are revealing themselves here is another song I always liked and I have no idea why. I think I really like how the song is calm during the verse and then explodes into the chorus. Ted Leo is a great songwriter and his band Ted Leo And The Pharmacists are a indie sensation. In fact I will post an original song by them in my next post. I actually had to record this off of youtube which was sort of a pain in the ass. My internet sort of sucks and youtube stopped a few times to buffer so I had to edit out the blank spots. Totally worth it though.
Ted Leo - Since You've Been Gone/Maps(Kelly Clarkston/Yeah Yeah Yeahs Cover)

When I was little my parents loved country music and I always loved the voice of Dolly Parton. Plus she's a babe, or at least was, I haven't seen her recently. And no I'm not saying that just because she has huge boobs. This cover is very cool, very beautiful. It has a banjo and choir!
Dolly Parton - Stairway To Heaven(Led Zeppelin Cover)

Wha wha what! A rap cover with strings! This is a MUST listen and MUST have for any good cover collection.
Dan Black - HYPNTZ (Notorious B.I.G. Cover)

I can't say that this cover of The Weight is better than the original because that would be a total lie, but it is just as good as the original. It's less country and more soul. A really interesting take on an already great song. Plus two heavy weights covering it. How can it be bad?
Duane Allman & Aretha Franklin - The Weight(The Band Cover)

Metallica Rulez!! haha! Every time I read that I always think of Otto from the Simpsons. This is a version that you could easily play for your grandma or even in the workplace. It's 100% acoustic and doesn't skip on the fancy guitar noodling.
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orion (Metallica Cover)

No comments: