4/27/2009

Mandatory Music Monday

Alright, this is going to be a test. I am going to try my best to keep this blog updated on a regular basis for more than a few reasons. Reason one is you the reader (however many of you are out there). I love getting people turned on to new music, especially good music. I hate it when people are oblivious to all thats out there or only listen to "Clear Channel Hits", as I like to call them. There is more out there than just what is played on the radio. Don't get me wrong sometimes I love the Top Pop songs, but I'd rather support the little guy. The second reason is because I love music! I'm constantly checking out music blogs and podcasts and reviews. I wish I could add going to shows in there but recent events complicate that matter. So I am going to attempt to make a man out of this blog and try to update at least three times a week. There will be Mandatory Music Mondays where I'll post music that I have been listening to non stop. There will be Whatever Wednesdays where I'll post random songs or just songs to get you through the rest of the week. I think Wednesday posts will have more songs. Last but not lest will be Feel Good Fridays! These are the songs that will make you happy cause Fridays are always good days, unless you start work on Friday then...well it sucks to be you. Like I said the Wed. posts will have a few more songs than Mon. and Fri. Then if I feel like posting something else through out the week I will. Also I'm always up for suggestions if anyone has any. Just shoot me an E-mail to ropbopblog@yahoo.com. So that is the plan. Notice I use the word "try". I can't guarantee that I'm going to post every time, but I'll make a decent effort to. With that said here is the first Mandatory Music Monday or Mx3 Post. This one will be long because it's the first one.

I am a white kid who loves rap. I love everything from the gangsta rap to indie rap. I also bump that shit when I am driving in my car loudly and with pride. I know I'm not cool. I'm a geek who loves Star Wars, animated shows, and NPR. I'm no where near being hard, but I like to pretend I am. This is a song for all those haters. Werd up homeslice.
The Cool Kids - A Little Bit Cooler

Recently there was a music festival that happened called South By South West. It's one of the largest music festivals and it's where all the new talent has a chance to shine on stage. It's also a music nerds wet dream. Almost every single blog, podcast or review I read mentioned something about this band. This Boston MA one man band is said to have created a CD for his girlfriend on Valentines Day with songs he made and it ended up getting passed around in his circle of friends and then their friends and so on, and with good reason. The songs were liked so much that some live gigs were played with people filling in to create the band. Eventually they were picked up by record label Frenchkiss and will have a release coming out soon. I have only heard a few tracks by them and they have been stuck in my head for the past 4 days. It's danceable but not dance music, it's emotional but not emo, it's indie but doesn't suck. I'll be picking up this album when it drops for sure.
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

I am a sucker for folksy acoustic emoish songs. There are probably a million songs that are similar to this that I'll post but every now and then one will come along and grab me by the soul strings and pluck away. This is one of them. It's fast paced, the drums boom like a heartbeat, the bass is subtle but amazing and I think I might hear a banjo. The title is sweet too.
Mumford and Sons - Little Lion Man

The First time I heard this song I was left with a feeling of "what the hell did I just hear" The Scandinavian collective Dungen mix psychedelic layered pop straight out of the 60's in a modern style. The time changes are crazy and the vocals, although in a different language, blend perfectly. This song is one of those mix tape powerhouses that will guarantee to blow the listeners mind.
Dungen - Panda

Manic and punky, foreign and cute. Oh my God, you think I'm in control/Oh my God, you think it's all for fun I say Oh my God this song makes me want to spazz out with frantic dancing, and Oh my God this song is lots of fun.
Ida Maria - Oh My God

No comments: