10/14/2011

Coverwise


I have had this great cover by Her Space Holiday laying around for a while now. I was going to put it on a cover mix that I have been working on (it's coming soon) but I think I am just going to post it. There is reason behind this. The start and end of this song have clips taken from a movie. Last night I decided to finally look up where the clips came from, and I am so glad I did. The clips come from a 1984 documentary called Streetwise. The doc is a look into the lives of street kids in Seattle, Washington. To say that this is a powerful film would be an understatement. From the very first line I was hooked the entire time. The film follows kids ranging from 13-17 who are runaways, homeless, or just plain have bad family life and their struggle to survive on the streets. I don't want to say too much about it because it's a film that I really think everyone should see, but I will say it's not a "light" movie. It will definitely keep you thinking long after you have watched it. It's not easy to track down a copy, but if you ever see it,grab it. It's totally worth it. Also check out the original version of this song by Wolf Parade, because it friggin' rocks!

Her Space Holiday - I'll Believe In Anything (Wolf Parade Cover)

I tried to do a Google Translate to post the english translation and here is what I got...
"Looks like I'll tell you ... That tonight
I did mourn ... With your answer
Because you did not come did not come ... ahhhh ...
You did not come ... You did not come ... oohhh ahhh ahhh
ahh ahh ahh ah ah ah ahh ahh ahh ahhh oooh ah ah ah
Not as you say, that so often
I loved you say ... ahh ... ahh ahhh I loved you
But did not come did not come ... ahhh
You did not come ... You did not come ... ahhh
I would like to wait ... until the end
But I get to come ... but you get to come
I would like to wait, go for you ... without you
But have you cost me the next day Sunday and miss three days
finish this ...
did not come (x15)"

Sort of makes sense. It doesn't really matter though because this is a beautiful cover.
Carla Morrison - No Viniste (Natalia Lafourcade Cover)

I'm moving to a new team at work, and the team leader there is a pretty cool kid. He sent a "getting to know you" e-mail to the new team members and he mentioned that his favorite song was a song by the band Beach House. I wrote that I dug Tom Waits and he responded back telling me that he loved Tom WaWts too. He is a pretty funny guy too he will randomly send out e-mails about animals that have no true facts but are hilarious to read. I think we are going to get along just fine. I am sad though because my current team lead is so awesome, she's the kind of supervisor that one dreams of having. She has your back no matter what, makes things fun, super helpful, and is a great resource of knowledge. In fact I had a monthly review with her and she told me I was doing very good and then the rest of the time we just sat and shot the shit. Turns out she is a Tom waits fan as well.
The Cottars - Hold On (Tom Waits Cover) (No Longer Available)

This song was written by singer/songwriter Doc Pomus who had penned a number of hits through out the 50's and 60's. His most notable work include the songs Viva Las Vegas, A Teenager in Love, Save The Last Dance For Me, my pick for today, This Magic Moment, and many others. The song was originally preformed by Ben E. King with The Drifters in 1960 and hit the billboard top 100 that same year. I like the original but I absolutely love this cover that Lou Reed did for Docs tribute album. This cover is also on the soundtrack for the David Lynch film Lost Highway.
Lou Reed - This Magic Moment

Lets end This cover post with a boss cover of the Boss.
A.A. Bondy - I'm On Fire (Bruce Springsteen Cover) (No Longer Available)

No comments: