10/09/2011

Girl Power

The first time I heard of the Doubleclicks was from one of the many podcasts that I listen to. The song Technical Writer was used as the background music for a show called The Phone Show which I have talked about before. The song got stuck in my head due to it being played for most of the hour long show, but I am so glad it was played repeatedly. This Portland duo creates nerdy folk music backed mostly by cello and ukulele. By nerdy I mean these girls are hardcore geeks, they have songs about video games, internet breakups, a love of star trek and dungeons and dragons. These are the kind of girls I would marry in a heartbeat. Look them up on Youtube and you will find tons of songs by them.
The Doubleclicks - Technical Writer

Lana Del Rey has been all over the music blogs as of late and a for good reason. I honestly could see her taking the throne and reigning as the new indie queen (look out Regina Spektor). She's got a fresh approach to her music it's not groundbreaking but it is noticeably different, you can tell that a lot of time was spent perfecting and polishing. Add on her soft sultry melt like butter vocals and you got a sure winner. Seriously watch out for this woman in the coming months.
Lana Del Rey - Video Games

Fun Fact: Alynda Lee Segarra, the creative force behind the band, ran away from home at 17 and hopped freight trains for a time.
Hurray For The Riff Raff - Bricks

I love this strings in this song, absolutely beautiful. I always loved Canadian girls.
Jenn Grant - Blue Skies

Lets add something a little bit more danceable. How about a song written by a great man, covered by a electro pop princess from the UK, and remixed by Buffetlibre?
Little Boots - Love Kills (Freddy Mercury Cover)

Last but not least, I can not have an all girls post and leave out my favorite female singer, Neko Case.
Neko Case - Deep Red Bells

No comments: