6/25/2009

Cool points deducted and then cool points earned back

I have a confession to make that might just ruin all my credibility as a person who likes goods music. I am a fan of John Mayer. Not a super fan, but I do think he writes some pretty good songs. I it's lame, but he seems like an alright guy and obviously he's doing something right. I mean Daughters was a pretty neat song. Well if you liked that song even a little and are afraid to admit it I suggest checking out this song. I don't think it's released on any of his albums that I know of. I only have two and one of them is a live CD where this track comes from. This is a honest heartfelt song about leaving a long term relationship and moving on to the next, only to find out your new girl doesn't live up to your past girl. Seriously, give this song a listen.
John Mayer - Comfortable

I was looking at the pictures on Amy Winehouses Back To Black album and I thought "Man what a fox!" So I decided to look at more pictures of her on Google Images. I wish I hadn't. Regardless of the train wreck she is becoming I do love her music. She has that sultry soulful raspy voice that is so damn sexy. Her songs normally have an awesome beat that you can bump like it was a rap song, but I decided to go with a slow burner of hers today.
Amy Winehouse - Some Unholy War

One of my sources where I get my music is from Podcasts. There are a ton of music podcasts out there. Some are non-stop radio shows like The Aquarium Drunkard, or Pretty Much Amazing, some are theme shows like Coverville, and others like KEXP Song Of The Day give you a new MP3 everyday. This song came from KEXP and whats even better is that it is an AMAZING live version.
Phosphorescent - Wolves (Live On KEXP)


Hopefully everyone has heard or at least knows of DJ Dangermouse by now. If not he was the guy who made the excellent mash up of The Beatles White Album with Jay-Z's Black Album which was titled The Grey Album, clever ain't it. If you haven't heard it I suggest you stop reading this and get to searchin'. The reason I bring this up is because he has now collaborated with indie prodigy Sparklehorse. Together they have created a new album called Dark Night Of The Soul, which features original songs sung by Iggy Pop(The Stooges), Jason Lytle, Julian Casablancas(The Strokes) and James Mercer(The Shins) just to name a few. I have heard this album and it is 100% jaw dropping. Unfortunately there is some sort of label dispute going on where by law it is not allowed to be released. Well leave it to rouge Dangermouse to find a way to get it out. Basically what happened is that the album was leaked on the net. Oh, I forgot to mention that it also comes with liner notes that have a picture book done by Director David Lynch. You can buy the case and liner notes and they send it to you with a blank CD-R. I'm sure you can find all the information if you do a little searching. To wet your appetite here is a track from the disc featuring Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips. Prepare to be amazed.

Dangermouse & Sparklehorse - Revenge (feat. Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips)

No comments: