6/27/2009

RopBop for the tots: Songs for the kids and kid in you


A few years ago I made my nephew a mix CD for Christmas that consisted of songs that are kid worthy. Songs that are catchy fun to sing along to and light and more importantly tolerable to listen to over and over. I included some songs from a disc I acquired that had Saturday morning cartoon theme songs done by popular artists. It is a great disc and if you find it you'll enjoy songs like Sublime doing Hong Kong Phooey, The Ramones awesome version of Spiderman or Violent Femmes covering a song from the Jetsons called Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah. I also included some obvious ones like the Beatles Octopuses Garden, The Troggs Wild Thing and Jump by Kriss Kross. I don't know how many people reading this have kids but here are some other jams that should please the youngsters and also help parents to keep their sanity.

This track is from a punk sampler called Short Music For Short People. It's not a kids album as the title may imply but it's 101 songs that are each no longer than 30 seconds. It's a fun CD with a wide variety and some great little ditties. You can get the album from Fat Wreck Chords. Wizo is also a German band, just an F.Y.I.
Wizo - The Count

You might recognize this tune form a recent Honda Insight commercial. The whole song is perfect to get kids thinking about what they want to be when they grow up and super catchy.
Great Lake Swimmers - See You On the Moon

This song was on the Juno soundtrack and is sung by Kimya Dawson who is one half of the Moldy Peaches, who are not this kid friendly. This is a really cute song though and I love the name Antsy Pants.
Kimya Dawson & Antsy Pants - Tree Hugger

Guess what color this song focuses on? Bright Eyes (a.k.a. Conor Oberst) is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. He's got the emo/indie/twangy thing down.
Bright Eyes - True Blue

The first time I heard this song was the first time I ever heard the White Stripes. This is back when there were still an up and coming band out of Detroit. I remember my ex-girlfriend played it for me on our way back home on a sunny but snow covered day, which was the perfect setting.
The White Stripes - We're Going To Be Friends

Singer for the Super Furry Animals, Gruff Rhys bring us into a child like dream with his lyrics and toy piano.
Gruff Rhys - Candylion

This is the grand finale right here! The Violent Femmes show us how to cover a kids song. It's fun, silly and rocking! Every time I hear it I have to play it again. It's like a treat for your ears.
The Violent Femmes - Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah (Means I Love You)

No comments: