6/24/2009

Mmmmm...indie treats

I updated the blog a little today. I got rid of the little kid header and made a more relevant one. The kid header was cool, but it was put there originally for testing so I could figure out how Blogger worked. Well I now know and decided to change it. I also did some color changes too. Hope it looks good. Today I decided to feature two bands that I have been into for the past few months. It's not brand new piping fresh, but I love it and I hope you will too.

Manchester Orchestra is going to rock you! This band is what every band should strive to be. This Atlanta, GA based band play high energy hook laden no holds barred indie rock with mature and poignant song writing. Which is very surprising for such a young band. Lead singer Andy Hull started writing songs while still attending High School and opted to be home schooled his senior year so he could compose and record in the studio. Eventually he started to collaborate with friends solidifying what became Manchester Orchestra. The band has an EP You Brainstorm, I Brainstorm, But Brilliance Needs a Good Editor which gained fame around the Atlanta area and led to the bands first full length I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child. They also recently released their amazing sophomore album Mean Everything To Nothing where they got a chance to work with producer Joe Chiccarelli who has worked with bands such as The Shins and My Morning Jacket. I can not say enough great things about this band. Take a listen and I assure you will be addicted.
Shake It Out

I Can Feel A Hot One

I've Got Friends

Frightened Rabbit are a 3 piece band from Glasgow, Scotland who formed in 2004. It features brothers Scott Hutchison (guitar,vocals) and his brother Grant (percussion) and their friend Billy on second guitar. As their names suggests they play a blend of intimate indie rock with a nervously anxious sound. The lyrics have a sort of self deprecating air yet they wrap around you like a blanket letting you know there is some sense of security hidden in between the lines. As I said the music has a real down home almost earthy feel laced with bittersweet and haunting undertones. It's dark with out being utterly depressing and it's light with out being too cheery. Sort of like seeing the silver lining of a dark cloud. These are from the incredible album Midnight Organ Fight.
Keep Yourself Warm

The Twist

Old Fashioned

No comments: