4/04/2020

Rop Bop Radio Episode 2 Part 1

Just a word before I start this post. I am going to be making Spotify playlists out of these "Rop Bop Radio" posts. Originally I wanted to do another podcast/DJ show like I did before, but due to copyright stuff and having a loud computer the audio podcast is sort of out the window for now. But since I put in the time to make the playlist I might as well share it. So here is the deal, I will split the playlist into two posts. I'm going to try to keep the info short and sweet since there will be a lot of songs per post. think of this as the liner notes to the music your about to listen to. I want to keep things easily consumable. At the end of the second post I will embed the spotify playlist. If you have spotify and like the playlist, you can then add it to your own collection. In addition if you follow me you can see all the other playlists I have made and a gigantic playlist with every song I have ever posted in this blog! It's going to be a fun time so make sure you stay tuned and keep those ear holes open. Also if you like it or this blog, please share. It would mean so much to me. Seeing people are reading/listening really drives my motivation to create new posts. I don't get paid for this, so the only reason I do this blog is hope that someone finds a new song or artist they like. Thanks for all your support and enjoy!

Hey, all you cool cats and kittens! Sorry I couldn't help myself, I just got done watching Joe Exotic: Tiger King on Netfilx. What a crazy shit show that was, am I right?! With the current state of the world A.K.A. "Coronaville" (all props to Joey Diaz for that one) and how almost everyone is home, I am sure that show is going to win some award. It's the hot topic all over social media that's for sure. Speaking of hot topics, let's get into the music with a song. This is from the feminist pop punk band Le Tigre. If there was one word I would use to describe this band it would be strong. Everything about them has a certain solid presence, like when the cool kid walks into a room and everyone stares. The music is not your typical coarse sound either, don't get me wrong it's got attitude, but it's well polished and very fun. This song in particular is one of my favorites. It's got a nice 60's esque girl group pop flavor, with lead singer Kathleen Hanna (formerly of Bikini Kill) adding her amazing vocals. Lyrically the song is a inspiring shout out some amazing women who are movers and shakers in their industry, and a treasure trove of Wikipedia holes for the listener. This is a band not to be passed up folks.

Le Tigre - Hot Topic




Sylvan Esso is an electronic expiermental pop duo featuring Amelia Meath (Mountain Man) and producer Nick Sanborn (Megafaun, Made of Oak). Their sound remind me of a darker sounding Postal Service with female vocal harmonies that will blow you away. It's slick and crisp electronic sound is a great contrast to Meath's mumbly but pretty voice. For the love of all that is holy, make sure to look up the song Animal Tracks by Mountain Man which I know I have posted about before..

Sylvan Esso - Hey Mami




If you need reminding the Magic Numbers are a duo brother and sister indie pop band from Hanwell in west London, who have a folksy meets bubble gum pop style. Last month they cam upon the 15 year anniversary of their self-titled debut album. The album has great tracks like the soft and warm, I See You, you See Me See Me and the grand ball playwright opener Morning's Eleven. Not only do I really like this band, but this album is in my all time top 10. The song I picked leans on the more country folk side but it's a speedy number with some awesome backing vocals and guitar work that will make you want to get moving. If you are into great backing vocals that will punch you in the soul, this is a band you should

The Magic Numbers - Long Legs




This song first came across my radar as a cover by David Bazan (Pedro The Lion). I'm not going to say much about the song as I really think it just needs to be listened to. Just going by the title you'd think it's another song about unrequited love, and in a way it is...but not in the way you think. I will say this though it's beautiful in the most heartbreaking way. Definitely a thinker song. Just give it a listen...you'll thank me later.

Vic Chesnutt - Flirted With You All My Life




If the voice in this song sound familiar to you it probably because you have heard it before. This is a side project of Justin Vernon (Bon Iver). Rather than Vernon's recognizable falsetto melancholy sad indie he switches it up a bit and goes for a more blues driven approach with the Shouting Matches, and it's fantastic. Excellent guitar playing, captures the blues without being encroaching into the white blues bar band territory. It's still comes at you where it counts with the soulfulness of other projects but it's a great ride.

The Shouting Matches - Gallup,NM




Julien Baker is going to make you cry. No, she's not a schoolyard bully, she is a one of the most emotionally raw musical beings I have heard. This is her most recent single, and while I am a HUGE fan of her album Sprained Ankle, this one took a bit to grow on me for some reason. I have a love hate relationship with songs like that, and know I place all blame on me not on the artist. I felt like it didn't have that punch, other song did. It has grown on me and I think it's a good, but I miss that hard hitting "oof" moment. This is a good start though and I do look forward to hear a new album by her. One song that I did like however was her cover of Modern Leper from the Frightened Rabbit tribute album.

Julien Baker - Toyko




Let's go for a dose of heavy with this trudgey crunchfest from The Dirty Nil. For some reason this song makes me want to be a brontosaurs. Maybe it's the massive sound, maybe it's the machismo lyrics, but it make me want to walk slow and knock shit over. Also, any band that name drops Husker Du is alright with me. Fun fact: I noticed that the singer for this band really likes shirts with stars on them.

The Dirty Nil - Wrestle You To Husker Du




Well that wraps it up for this post, my little boppers. make sure to stop by in a few days when the rest of RopBopRadio Episode 1 Part 2. As always enjoy the music, support the artists, and shop local. Until next time, TTFN.

No comments: