4/10/2020

Rop Bop Radio Episode 2 Part 2

If you missed my last post You might want to go check it out. This is the second part of a two part post. Or don't, you'll just miss out on the blurbs about the artists that took a long time to research and all of the hard work I did to type it up, and code it properly. It's really none of my business.

Last post I mentioned that you should give Julien Baker's cover of Modern Leper by the band Frightened Rabbit a listen. If you recall, I mentioned the track was from a Frightened Rabbit tribute album, and as odd as it seems there are actually two covers of the same song on the album. While Julien's cover was the soft and raw sound she is known for, this version is the complete opposite. It builds to this amazing loud and crashing crescendo, that really reflects the emotion of the original. Any fan of Blue October, Arcane Roots or Twin Atlantic, you'll really like these guys. straight up emotional rock with slight dark overtones. If you like what you hear you might want to keep an eye out as Biffy Clyro has a new album titled A Celebration Of Endings coming out in May, and be sure to give Frightened Rabbit a listen as well.

Biffy Clyro - The Modren Leper




Lake Street Drive hails from Boston, MA and tends to weave in and out of genres pretty flawlessly. The band started as a country band, but changed direction early on and with the help of a submitted jazz song to the John Lennon Songwriting Contest the band started their legacy. The song I chose is a modern style throwback mix of big band sound and southern rock and 60's vocal harmonies. It's one of the thightest sounding bands I have ever heard. you can tell that every musician here is an expert in their craft. The singer has a wide vocal range and knows how to set the bar on fire with a ferocious animal instinct like delivery. You might want to down a shot or two to this one.

Lake Street Drive - You Go Down Smooth




I am pretty sure I have talked about Bill Callahan before, but I just love how he can capture that laid back vibe and yet make songs that range from dark and scary to downright happy. He's got a unique style that's for sure. This is one of those songs I listen to when I am going through a tough time and I need to be reminded that I must preserver. It has a nervous rhythm and creeping strings that swell anxiously until it comes to a head with a calming refrain before returning to the eerie desolate nervousness. If you like this make sure you explore his gigantic discography including the band Smog.

Bill Callahan - Drover




I have written about Hop Along recently, and you don't really need to know anything other than they are amazing, so I am going to write something random. I hope in the future I get to see actual smart robots that can interact with you on human level. You know like the computer from Star Trek, or C3PO from Star Wars. I'd also like to have K.I.T. from night rider. Of course I'd worry about them taking over, so I'd be super nice to them. I wonder it that would be as cool as I think it is? Do I just want a friend?.... I think I need to hold a puppy.

Hop Along - Prior Things




Not a lot of people are familiar with Judy or Tommy, they were pretty obscure artists from the 1970's who dabbled in the psych/folf rock scene. Tommy Came from a more jazz oriented background and played the horn, but due to an injury he was no longer able to play. Rather than moving on from music he hosted recording sessions with fellow musicians at his house and sang on the tracks. It should be noted that singing was not really his thing, but the stuff he recorded is amazing. Judy was in the folk scene and released a few albums herself, but led a very troubled life and sadly passed away from a drug overdose. This song was dug up and re-released on Light In The Attic Records and the music while really shining in a lot of places is also disjointed and bizarre in others. It's one of those perfectly flawed albums in my opinion. The song in particular show cases that strange magic and features both Peltier and Sill's outstanding vocals, backed by a spacy twangy and twinkling guitar. This is a must listen if you like your 70's soft rock a bit on the weird side.

Tommy Peltier with Judy Sill - Time After Time




I'm not a big fan of modern country music. I grew up on late 80's and early 90's country and then it got to poppy for my taste. However, there has been a small but rising indie country scene that is bringing country back to it's classic roots. Artists like Colter Wall, Sturgil Simpson, and Jason Isbell are circling back to a time when country was a bit more reckless and twangy. Kentucky native Tyler Childres, is a prime example, with his bluegrass influenced mountain music sound. It's a breath of fresh air and I surprisingly inviting to even those who dislike traditional country music. It's become one of my recent favorite songs and it usually gets at least one repeat. Tyler was scheduled to be on tour with Sturgil Simpson, but due to Covid-19 the shows have been canceled. I want to help get his name out there a bit and show him some love. I think this is one I need to have on vinyl.

Tyler Childers - Feathered Indians




To close things out, we end with this feel good breezy pop number by Trove Stryke. Just a word of warning, if you go looking for more music by her, know that she is very comfortable with her sexuality, so here is your "not safe for work" warning. This video is pretty tame though, so no worries.

Tove Stryke - Sway




Well there you have it folks, Rop Bop Radio Episode 2! It was a lot of fun to put this together and I hope you find some new favorites. Make sure to support these artists, and if you can buy local. Oh what's that? I promised you a spotify playlist?! in the words of Michelle Tanner "You got it. dude!"


Here is the link to the playlist.


As always make sure to support these artists, and if you can shop local.

No comments: